Take part in an ancient ceremony, and explore the heart of the jungle alongside a knowledgeable private tour guide, and a Mayan shaman. This evening Temazcal ceremony is located in the Riviera Maya and accessible for those staying in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen or Tulum. Those on Cozumel may reach it by ferry to Playa Del Carmen.
This Private Temazcal Ceremony in Cancun will take you to a small Mayan community, where you'll learn more about their lifestyle and customs, as well as how to make traditional handmade tortillas.
Then, your private tour guide will take you to a beautiful circle of snails, where the temazcal ceremony will begin.
The temazcal ceremony works generally as follows:
- You'll be welcomed at the altar by the community shaman, who'll offer you a traditional and refreshing of balche, a drink made of bark that will prepare your body.
- You'll be purified with smoke and medicinal herbs, as you learn Mayan words to use inside the temazcal.
- You'll enter the temazcal, where the heat will be gradually increased as the shaman prays to clean your soul and body.
- Once the ceremony ends, your private tour guide will take you to an authentic Mayan cenote, where you'll be able to swim in the crystal clear waters to cool down.
Refreshed and purified, you'll enjoy a light dinner with gourmet fruits, cool water, and delicious tea before heading back to your hotel. We haven't met anyone who has not been meaningfully impacted in a positive way by this experience!
Transportation & Pickup
- You will be picked up from your hotel or Airbnb in Cancun, Tulum or the Riviera Maya.
- COZUMEL - If coming from Cozumel you will be responsible for taking the 45 minute ferry to Playa Del Carmen (PDC) for pickup and return for the Temazcal ceremony.
- You will have private, comfortable transportation with AC
- Pickup will be around 3PM in Cancun or 4PM in Playa Del Carmen or Tulum
- 5PM The Mayan home experience begins where you'll learn about the structures, how to cook tortillas and how they use hammocks
- 5:30 PM the ceremony begins through drinks, fire, purification and other rituals
- 6:30 PM Enter the Temazcal sauna for 40-50 minutes
- 7:30 PM refresh in a cenote then enjoy a light dinner with gourmet fruits, tea and water to rehydrate.
- 8:00 PM Begin to head back to your hotel or ferry